Thursday, June 30, 2022

Prayer for Our Enemies

 "Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you." (Luke 6:28)

God sends the rain on the just and unjust
so that everyone gets to enjoy His beauty.
In our politically correct world, we may not want to admit that we have enemies. Yet our world is filled with so much hate that it should not be a surprise when it is directed our way. How blessed we are that Jesus didn't leave us guessing as to what to do when it happens. When someone curses us, we are to bless them. When someone drags our name through the mud, we pray for them. Jesus gave us the perfect example. When he was abused, mocked, and betrayed, he did not retaliate.

So today I offer a prayer for enemies. If you, dear reader, have one or more, pray this along with me, and feel free to insert their name where needed. Let's support one another so that God will be honored in our responses.


Lord God,

Thank you for Jesus. Thank You for the kind restraint He showed on the cross. He could have called on an angelic army to retaliate, but He didn't because there was something more precious to Him than His own reputation or comfort - the salvation of His people.

Make me be more like Him. Give me patience with those who misunderstand. Give me wisdom to know when to speak up and when to keep silent. Give me love for those who hate me. Make me meek and lowly like Jesus.

Today I pray for my enemies. I pray that you would bless them. I can't think of a greater blessing for them than a close, intimate relationship with you, free of the hatred and bitterness they carry. Would you bless them with that kind of relationship? Would you draw them into Your presence with Your everlasting love? Let them release their frustrations, anger, and bitterness to You. Set them free from the chains of darkness that bind them. 

I don't know what life is like for them. Maybe life has not turned out the way they hoped. If they are going through hard times, bless them with the deep peace You give. Bless them at home so that they have Your peace and Your joy in their relationships. Give them good relationships at work so that they can be a tribute to their company. Give them prosperity in all the ways that make You smile.

Forgive me, Lord, for not loving them like I should. You loved me when I was Your enemy. So let me be like You and love them too. I cannot do that myself. I need Your supernatural power to do that. I rest in You to supply it for me so that I can extend Your precious love to them. 

Amen


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this. I needed this reminder.

    ReplyDelete