Friday, December 20, 2019

A Request for God's Presence

O Holy God,

Let Your presence be known to me in my inmost being, not just in my prayers and devotions, but also as I walk through the day. Be the inspiration of my thoughts that I may honor You with them. Launch my imagination that I may dream big dreams for Your glory. Shine Your light in every secret space of my heart that I may be wholly indwelt by Your Spirit.

When I speak today, let my words be words that You would say: encouraging ones to the discouraged, healing ones to the hurting, convicting ones to those who knowingly sin or who are hypocritical in their righteousness, and peaceful words to those in conflict.* When I keep silent, let it not be from fear, uncertainty, or compromise. Instead, let it be because I know the Spirit is not in control of my tongue at the moment or because You have told me to keep quiet.

Thank You that You are always with me (Psalms 139:7-10) and that You have promised that You will stay with me. (Hebrews 13:5) Let me be a beacon of light today for those who are seeking You.

Then, when I wearily climb into bed tonight, let me rejoice and give thanks for Your constant presence in my life and for an awareness of Your truth and light guiding me through the day.

Amen.

*The Bible has lots to say about the power of words. Here are just a few references: Proverbs 8:7; 15:2, 4; 16:24; 21:23; Ephesians 4:25; 1 Peter 3:10.


Photo: The coast of Maine.


No comments:

Post a Comment