Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Of Candles and Embers


Lord,

Where am I?
       Where am I going?
              Is there a path I’m following or am I lost?
                     What are my dreams?
                            Where will they lead me?
                                   Will I be able to follow them or will they let me down?

If I had a candle to light in this darkness,
       I’d let it shine brightly and freely and gaily.

But I have no candle.
       Only the glimmer of a small, dying ember smothered in the dust of my ash heap.

You are the wind.
       You are the fire.
              You could give life to my hidden desire.

Blow on my ash heap.
       Stir up the flame.
              Let that lone ember give light once again.

If I were a candle, I’d shine in this darkness,
       But I am an ember in need of Your wind.


Photo: On the last night of family camp up near Baguio, Philippines, we gathered around a bonfire to give praise and testimony to God's work in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment